Table of contents
The objectives of business and investment visas is to attract high calibre business persons to actively engage in businesses in Australia, thus promoting employment generation and economic development. Most of the business and investment type visas are classified into temporary and permanent categories. Amongst them, the Business Talents Visa (subclass 132) is the most direct pathway to permanent residency.
Australia business and investment visa types are as below:
Temporary Residence Visa (188)
- Business Innovation Stream
- Investor Stream
- Significant Investor Stream
- Premium Investor Visa
Permanent Visa (888 and 132)
- Business Innovation and Investment Visa
- Business Talent Visa (Permanent)
Temporary Residence Visa (188)
Under the Temporary Residence Visa (188) stream, applicants are required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the SkillSelect system before they proceed to apply for this type of visa. Application is by invitation only.
Pre-requisite requirements for this visa under the SkillSelect system request the applicant to:
- Be under 55 years of age (or meet age waiver requirements)
- Have an overall successful business career
- Have sufficient personal and business assets
- Score at least 65 points on a points based test, based on the calculation of age, assets, business turnover, business experience and language, etc. (Significant and Premium Investors are exempt.)
The 188 visa is valid for 4 years. Holders of this visa can apply for permanent residency after a specific period.
- 2 years for visa holders under the Business Innovation Stream and Investor Stream
- 4 years for visa holders under Significant Investor Stream and 1 year for Premium Investor Visa holders.
Business Innovation Stream
To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have combined net business and personal assets (spouse included) of more than AUD 800,000.
- For 2 out of 4 fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply, you have had an ownership interest in an established business or businesses that had a turnover of at least AUD 500,000 in each of those years.
- Own at least one of the following percentage of your nominated main business:
- 51 per cent, if the business has a turnover of less than AUD 400,000 per year
- 30 per cent, if the business has a turnover of AUD 400,000 or more per year
- 10 per cent, if the business is a publicly listed company
To be eligible, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have combined net business and personal assets (spouse included) of more than AUD 2.25 million within the last 2 years before the application is lodged.
- Have at least 3 years’ experience of direct involvement in the designated investment or
- Have an overall successful record of the designated investment.
- Have a genuine intention to live for at least 2 years in the state or territory in which you have made a designated investment of AUD 1.5 million into a state or territory government bond for 4 years
- The applicant or his/her spouse has held at least 10% ownership of a business with direct involvement in management for at least a year within the 5 years before application. Alternatively, have managed an effective investment valued at AUD 1.5 million and above.
Significant Investor stream
Under this stream, there is no points test, no upper age limit and no English requirement. To be eligible though, you must meet the following criteria:
- Make an investment of at least AUD 5 million in a Complying Significant Investment and hold the investment continuously for at least 4 years.
- The applicant or his/her spouse has a genuine and realistic commitment to live in Australia. The Primary applicant shall spend at least 160 days out of 4 years in Australia to get a permanent visa.
- Flexible investment choice. Independent or partnership business under the ownership of the applicant or their spouse or a trust fund with the applicant or their spouse is eligible.
A “Complying Significant Investment” for the purposes of the Significant Investor Visa includes:
- At least AUD 500,000 in venture capital fund(s) registered with AustIndustry.
- At least AUD 1.5 million investment through managed fund(s) to emerging companies.
- The balance of the investment is to be invested through managed fund(s) to eligible investments such as securities of ASX listed companies, real estate investment trusts or infrastructure trusts; some company bonds; complying life insurance annuities, Australian real property, cash held in ADIs and derivatives.
Premiums Investor Visa
For this type of visa, there is no points test, no upper age limit and no English requirement. You do not have to reside in Australia whilst holding this visa.
The following criteria must be met:
- Make an investment of at least AUD 15 million in a Complying Significant Investment and hold the investment continuously for at least 4 years.
Permanent Residence Visa (888 and 132)
Business Innovation and Investment Visa (Subclass 888)
Temporary visa holders of subclass 188 are able to apply for a permanent residence visa (subclass 888) after the required years as below:
- Business Innovation Stream and Investor Stream – 2 years
- Significant Investor Stream – 4 years
- Premium Investor Visa – 1 year
In addition, the eligibility for the transfer of visa subclass 188 into subclass 888 also depends on whether the applicant has successfully met the conditions of their individual subclass 188.
Business Talent Visa (Permanent) (Subclass 132)
This visa is the only permanent resident visa in the business and investment migration stream that you could apply directly. The visa is for high calibre business people from overseas, especially suitable for an entrepreneur who has achieved great success in their business. It is also the core service of Azurra Migration.
To be eligible for visa subclass 132, the applicant must:
- Be under 55 years of age (or meet age waive requirements)
- Successfully nominated by State Government after application (different State or Territory governments have different requirements for the application)
- The applicant must be invited for application after submitting a proposal through the SkillSelect system
- Of at least 2 of the 4 years prior to visa application, the total personal and business net asset shall exceed the amount of AUD 1.5 million, including more than AUD 400,000 of business net asset
- Have significant ownership interest in 2 of the past 4 financial years in your nominated business (Min. 51% for business under $400,000 turnover; or min. 30% in business over $400,000 turnover; or min. 10% in a listed company)
- Have business turnover of AUD 3 million in 2 of the past 4 financial years in your nominated business
- All the above mentioned personal and business net asset are legally gained and will be transferred to Australia within 2 years
- Have genuine interest to set up a business in Australia or invest in a qualified business or project in Australia.